Prof. Dr. Juan Francisco Suquillo Carrera
He is the co- founder and director of the first Islamic Center of Ecuador and Imam of the Masjid “Assalam”. He holds a Doctorate degree in Theology and Religious Sciences. He has been award as Hero for his services to the Ecuadorian nation, and has translated many books into Spanish language. These have become very popular since the 9/11 events when non-Muslims became interested in learning about Islam. His books have become bestsellers since then. The Latin American Muslim scholars very well respect him. He was nominate for the past nine years 2,009- 2,018 in the book “The 500 most influential Muslims in the World” published by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Center and Georgetown University in United States.
Life- Conversion and Academic Achievements
Suquillo was born -1,959- and raised as Roman Catholic in the capital city Quito, Ecuador. He studied in the Military Academy where he achieved a BS. Degree in Military Sciences. He had an honorable retirement as war veteran in 1.985. – First Lieutenant, Engineering Corps from the Ecuadorian Army
In 1.981 when a war erupted between Ecuador and Peru, he commanded a tactic military unit to fight a neighboring country´s army. He lost his left hand during the war. His very close contact to death made him search for a God-conscious life. He left the National Ecuadorian Army and went to pursue academic liberal studies at Ferris State University in the State of Michigan –United States, where he embraced Islam and achieved a BS. Degree in Industrial Management.
Suquillo became the first Ecuadorian reverted Muslim who formally studied Islamic Religious Sciences at the Islamic University of Madinah in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and then got a Doctorate degree in Theology and Religious Sciences from the Universidad Autónoma in Quito-Ecuador.
- Educational Development Leadership
- Halal Standards Certified
Since 1,991 Dr. Suquillo helped flourishing the Islamic Literature in Spanish language by producing and translating more than 40 pieces of Islamic Literature in the fields of Islamic Education, Presenting Islam to non-Muslims, Comparative Religion and Inter- Faith Dialogue. Back in 2002, he produced the first audio about the Biography of Prophet Muhammad in Spanish.
For the past twenty-four years, he has delivered the Friday Islamic sermons in the capital city Quito, being an inspiration and a sound leader to his community.
He is also known as Shaikh Yahya. In the international arena he delivered conferences on the emerging of Latino Muslim’s concerns: New Jersey, New York, Texas, Washington DC, Seoul, London, Madrid, Istanbul, Cairo, Makkah (Rabbita), Madinah, Emirats, Morocco (Isesco), Kuwait, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Lima, Santiago, Quito, Asuncion, Caracas & the Caribbean area where he submitted papers mainly in the fields of:
- Presenting Islam to Non-Muslims in Latin America
- Identity of the Latino Muslim
- The future of Islam in Latin America
- Interfaith Dialogue (defusing tensions between religions)
- Climate change and the role of religious leaders
- Human Rights advocacy, an Islamic perspective
- Freedom of Religion and Equality in Latin American pseudo secular states
- Humanitarian relief and development work leadership
He also served as Imam to the Spanish speaking Muslim Community in United States (2004), as well a bilingual speaker for the Islamic Society of North America- Latino chapter.
Presently serves as:
- Chair of the Board of trustees C.I.R.E – Islamic Center of Ecuador
- Secretary General of CONALIR – “National Inter Faith Organization for Equal Religion’s Rights and Freedom” in Ecuador
- President of the “Slain in War Veteran’s Federation” – Ecuador
- Chair of F.E.O.I. “Ecuadorian Federation of Islamic Organizations”
- Founding member of OIPALC “The Latin American and Caribbean Organization for Propagating Islam” – Argentina base organization.
- Member of the CPC “Council to Ministry of Justice, Human Rights and Religion” – Ecuador
- Ambassador of EML European Muslim League in Ecuador
Suquillo was award as Outstanding University student in United States.
He holds the Ecuador’s Highest Award as “Hero” for National Service.
Upcoming book’s / papers’ titles:
- Dawah, The Future of Latin American Muslims & Identity
- Secular State and Freedom of Religion in Ecuador
- The intrinsic relation between Islam and the western media
- Broad aspects of politics for Muslims living in the west
- Re definition of the ethic dimension in the applied sciences
- The key rol of Human Rights and Humanitarian Relief organizations
- Guide for Muslim workers in Latin America – XXI Century
Some social media references:
http://www.alarabiya.net/Article.aspx?v=3125 http://www.shohood.net/show.asp?NewId=18350&PageID=7&PartID=1 http://www.annoormagazine.com/mag/ar/177/eslam/eslam_01.asp http://www.ipc-kw.com/vb/archive/index.php?t-1844.html http://www.almujtamaa-mag.com/Detail.asp?InSectionID=1243&InNewsItemID=192960 http://www.moh.gov.sa/vb/showthread.php?t=91